Sunday, November 29, 2009

Kimono (着物)

(The exchange students wearing the Japanese Traditional clothing, Kimono)

着物 (Kimono) is the Japanese Traditional garment used for weddings, coming of age, 七五三 (7,5,3 year old day), and even funerals. I was fortunate enough to be able to wear it one time. It was one of the most amazing things that I have experienced during my stay here in Japan. The kimono were bright and beautiful, making all of us exchange students feel special when we were wearing them. The kimono that we used were usually worn by the ladies who were going to celebrate their coming of age (成人式). Although the kimono that I wore was pretty, it was heavy and I had a difficult time breathing when I was wearing it. I would have to say, though, that the pros definitely outweigh the cons of wearing a kimono. I wanted to buy one, but unfortunately, the kimono that I wore cost almost 400,000 yen, around $4000! Hopefully, when I become お金持ち (wealthy), I will be able to buy a kimono for myself. :)

-Kristine

No comments:

Post a Comment