Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Past Few Weeks

We survived the Typhoon! Ever since the typhoon ended, the weather here has been absolutely beautiful...


kikazaru, iwazaru, mizaru

Hear no evil, Say no evil, See no Evil

I was told that the -zaru suffix is an ancient suffix used for negatives, and it is interesting because it has a similiar pronunciation to the word for monkey, saru.

These are the three monkeys at the Nikko Tougou Shrine. My Japanese friends who took us there where surprised to find out that this picture is famous not only in Japan but in the rest of the world as well.




Hanabi Matsuri was definitely an experience.

Hanabi Matsuri was the same day as Otsukimi (moon-viewing day). This firework display was a tomato! They were all so pretty! Apparently, there was a competition amongst the cities, so, of course, we were cheering for Mito.

The train ride there was painfully packed. I believed that I experienced extreme crowding in Tokyo, but I was greatly deceived. On the train ride to Tsuchiura, the train became full. At least, I thought it was full. Despite the train being "full", people kept entering the train until we were pushed into strangers. The remainder of the train ride was uncomfortable; all the passengers were literally body against body. I hear that in Japan, people experience these kinds of train rides everyday. This train ride was the biggest culture shock.

*Post Picture Here*


Everything in Japan is very cute! Characters seem to be a big part of Japanese culture; I know that we will be covering it soon in the Japanese pop culture class. This is a billboard in the movie theater which directs you to the restroom. I will definitely miss this the child-oriented atmosphere when I go back to America.


~Germaine

No comments:

Post a Comment